John Lewis Hovious Son of John HOVIOUS and Nancy MARTIN. Born in Knifley, KY on 18 June 1846. Married Mary Jane Bottoms, on 18 July 1872. [Mary Jane was the daughter of William and Sarah Bottoms. She was born in 1854 and died in Pulaski Co., KY, on 14 Nov 1910.]. John Lewis Hovious was a merchant and lived in Knifley; it appears that by 1900 his sons Stonewall and Atas had taken over his store. In 1893 John L. Hovious became a Notary Public in Adair County. John, his wife Mary, and their daughters Moda and Flora were living in Eubank, Pulaski Co., in 1910, where John ran a produce store. He and his family later moved back to Knifley.
John Lewis Hovious died on 23 February 1919, at 3:30 PM.
Information drawn from Census Records for 1870, 1880, 1900 and 1910; John's death certificate; Adair County Tax Records for 1887-1892; Adair County Court Order registers; and John's marriage license.
Children with Mary Jane BOTTOMS:
- Nell Hovious, b. 1873
- Stonewall Jackson Hovious, b. 29 July 1874, died 24 Nov 1949
- Wade Hampton Hovious, b. 10 April 1876, d. August 1879, of "congestive chill".
- Atas Hovious, b. 22 January 1879, died 3 November 1956. Married Sarah Lee Stapleton
- Child, born after 1880, died abt 1891?
- Mary Lou Hovious, b. 30 December 1884, died 4 July 1940. Married Monte W. Brockman, 11 April 1903
- Grover Cleveland Hovious, b. 16 April 1886, died 27 April 1940
- Nannie Hovious, b. 23 February 1889, died 2 January 1969, Cincinnati OH. Married William V. Lee
- Sallie Hovious, b. 23 February 1889. Married George Eubank.
- Moda Jane Hovious, b. 8 Nov 1891. Never married.
- Flora Hovious, b. 20 Sep 1894. Married John Schaeffer, lived in Long Beach, CA.